June 3, 2018
Pastor Jeff Strucker
I. The journey is just as important as the destination
Immediately he made the disciples get into the boat and go ahead of him to the other side, while he dismissed the crowds. 23 After dismissing the crowds, he went up on the mountain by himself to pray. Well into the night, he was there alone. 24 Meanwhile, the boat was already some distance from land, battered by the waves, because the wind was against them. 25 Jesus came toward them walking on the sea very early in the morning. 26 When the disciples saw him walking on the sea, they were terrified. “It’s a ghost!” they said, and they cried out in fear. 27 Immediately Jesus spoke to them. “Have courage! It is I. Don’t be afraid.”
II. The journey gets rocky when you take your eyes off of Jesus
“Lord, if it’s you,” Peter answered him, “command me to come to you on the water.” 29 He said, “Come.” And climbing out of the boat, Peter started walking on the water and came toward Jesus. 30 But when he saw the strength of the wind, he was afraid, and beginning to sink he cried out, “Lord, save me!”
III. Jesus is near when your journey seems impossible
Immediately Jesus reached out his hand, caught hold of him, and said to him, “You of little faith, why did you doubt?” 32 When they got into the boat, the wind ceased. 33 Then those in the boat worshiped him and said, “Truly you are the Son of God.”
• I took the first step of faith today when I prayed for Jesus to forgive my sins for the first time.
– I’ve let fear prevent me from taking the next step with Jesus. Please pray for me to follow him courageously this week.
+ I will walk step-by-step with Jesus this week.
- What is the most difficult challenge you’ve ever tackled? What prompted you to take the first step?
- Was it the size of Peter’s faith that made it possible for him to walk on water?
- Why does fear of failure prevent some people from even taking a challenge in the first place?
- Which is worse- a great failure or not taking a great challenge in the first place? Explain your answer.
- Is there a failure from your past that haunts you today?
- Have you let fear hold you back lately? If so, how can others pray for you this week?
- Pray for each other to walk closely with Jesus this week.
The post Risk Takers: Peter appeared first on Calvary Baptist Church.