[buzzsprout episode=’519339′ player=’true’]
May 28, 2017
Pastor Jeff Struecker
I. Follow the path that Jesus has prepared for you
So Moses went back home to Jethro, his father-in-law. “Please let me return to my relatives in Egypt,” Moses said. “I don’t even know if they are still alive.” “Go in peace,” Jethro replied. 19 Before Moses left Midian, the Lord said to him, “Return to Egypt, for all those who wanted to kill you have died.” 20 So Moses took his wife and sons, put them on a donkey, and headed back to the land of Egypt. In his hand he carried the staff of God.
II. Trust the Holy Spirit with your future
And the Lord told Moses, “When you arrive back in Egypt, go to Pharaoh and perform all the miracles I have empowered you to do. But I will harden his heart so he will refuse to let the people go. 22 Then you will tell him, ‘This is what the Lord says: Israel is my firstborn son. 23 I commanded you, “Let my son go, so he can worship me.” But since you have refused, I will now kill your firstborn son!’ ”
III. What the heck, God?
On the way to Egypt, at a place where Moses and his family had stopped for the night, the Lord confronted him and was about to kill him.
IV. God is deadly serious about the small stuff
But Moses’ wife, Zipporah, took a flint knife and circumcised her son. She touched his feet with the foreskin and said, “Now you are a bridegroom of blood to me.” 26 (When she said “a bridegroom of blood,” she was referring to the circumcision.) After that, the Lord left him alone.
• I now understand that my sin deserves death. I trust in Jesus’s death only as payment for my sins. Today, I turn from my sin and trust Jesus as my Savior for the first time.
– I have a relationship that is hurting my walk with Jesus. Pray for me to have the strength to trust Jesus with that relationship- even if it means walking away.
+ I want God to use me in great ways in the future. Today, I’m committing to be faithful in every area of my life.
- Only God can make a promise about the future. Which one of God’s promises are you most looking forward to in the future?
- Given that we are all imperfect- why does God put his power on display through people?
- Be honest, does it feel like this is too harsh of a punishment for Moses?
- Has God called you to do something that seemed impossible at the time? Were you faithful? How did it turn out?
- Why would God put all this time and effort into Moses only to almost kill him? What is God so angry about?
- What do these verses tell us about God? What do they teach us about our “small sins”?
- Has your faith cost you a relationship with someone else? If so, was it worth it?
- Confess an area of your life that you are struggling to turn over to Jesus. Pray for each other to surrender these to him this week.