August 5, 2018
Pastor Jeff Struecker
I. The church is full of hypocrites
For I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my flesh. For the desire to do what is good is with me, but there is no ability to do it. 19 For I do not do the good that I want to do, but I practice the evil that I do not want to do. 20 Now if I do what I do not want, I am no longer the one that does it, but it is the sin that lives in me.
II. If God is good, then why…?
Those who heard this asked, “Then who can be saved?”27 He replied, “What is impossible with man is possible with God.”28 Then Peter said, “Look, we have left what we had and followed you.” 29 So he said to them, “Truly I tell you, there is no one who has left a house, wife or brothers or sisters, parents or children because of the kingdom of God, 30 who will not receive many times more at this time, and eternal life in the age to come.”
III. What about those people?
For God’s wrath is revealed from heaven against all godlessness and unrighteousness of people who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth, 19 since what can be known about God is evident among them, because God has shown it to them. 20 For his invisible attributes, that is, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen since the creation of the world, being understood through what he has made. As a result, people are without excuse.
IV. The Bible was written by fallible men
2 Timothy 3:14-17
But as for you, continue in what you have learned and firmly believed. You know those who taught you, 15 and you know that from infancy you have known the sacred Scriptures, which are able to give you wisdom for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. 16 All Scripture is inspired by God and is profitable for teaching, for rebuking, for correcting, for training in righteousness, 17 so that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.
Three things to remember:
1. Listen well
2. Let your story do the convincing
3. Leave them with something to read
• Today I realize my need to surrender for new birth. This morning I surrendered my soul to Jesus for the first time.
– I haven’t been active in sharing my faith in the past because I was afraid I wouldn’t know the answer to a hard question. Pray for me to be more active in the future despite the fear of a hard question.
+ I will take the 6-week challenge.
- What is the hardest question you’ve ever been asked when sharing your faith?
- How would you respond to someone who says they love their spouse but never talks about their spouse?
- How can listening help you be a better witness for Jesus?
- If practice can help you get better at sharing your testimony, who can you practice with this week?
- Some Christians describe a faith that is boring and unattainable. Is this what Jesus offered people?
- How can winning an argument about our faith actually make it harder for someone to turn to Jesus?
- Pray for the opportunity to share your testimony at least once each week for the next 6 weeks.