July 29, 2018
Pastor Jeff Struecker
Jesus calls for…
I. A personal surrender
Then he said to them all, “If anyone wants to follow after me, let him deny himself, take up his cross daily, and follow me. 24 For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life because of me will save it.
II. A public surrender
For what does it benefit someone if he gains the whole world, and yet loses or forfeits himself? 26 For whoever is ashamed of me and my words, the Son of Man will be ashamed of him when he comes in his glory and that of the Father and the holy angels.
III. A permanent surrender
Truly I tell you, there are some standing here who will not taste death until they see the kingdom of God.”
“Then they will hand you over to be persecuted, and they will kill you. You will be hated by all nations because of my name. 10 Then many will fall away, betray one another, and hate one another. 11 Many false prophets will rise up and deceive many. 12 Because lawlessness will multiply, the love of many will grow cold. 13 But the one who endures to the end will be saved.
For it is impossible to renew to repentance those who were once enlightened, who tasted the heavenly gift, who shared in the Holy Spirit, 5 who tasted God’s good word and the powers of the coming age, 6 and who have fallen away. This is because, to their own harm, they are recrucifying the Son of God and holding him up to contempt.
My sheep hear my voice, I know them, and they follow me. 28 I give them eternal life, and they will never perish. No one will snatch them out of my hand. 29 My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all. No one is able to snatch them out of the Father’s hand.
• Today, I realized that I need to surrender to Jesus for the first time.
– I am already a Christian, but I’ve never made my faith public through baptism. Contact me about river baptism.
+ I will not let temptation turn me away from Jesus this week.
- Is it possible to only partially surrender to Jesus and still become a Christian? (Explain your answer)
- Why do Christians often still struggle with personal sins even after they’ve surrendered every area of their life over to Jesus?
- What would you say to a person who claims to be a Christian, yet has never been baptized or told another person about their faith?
a. Do you believe you can be a Christian and be silent about your faith?
b. Support your answer from the Bible.
- Confess to each other areas of your life that you are still struggling with temptations and sins that you’ve committed this week.
- Pray for the Holy Spirit to give you power over temptation this week.
The post Reach Deeper: Asking Someone to Surrender appeared first on Calvary Baptist Church.