When Mike Abrashoff took command of the USS Benfold, it was one of the lowest performing ships in the Pacific Fleet. The retention rate was 8% and accident rates were extremely high.12 months later, it was the best ship in the entire Navy…. with the same crew! Mike is the author of 3 leadership books, including the New York Times Bestseller It’s Your Ship, and his books are used all over the world to transform organizational cultures in all industries. In this episode, he breaks down his unique approach and what matters most in leadership.
- What he learned about leadership from former Secretary of Defense William Perry
- What caused Mike’s approach to leadership to change dramatically soon after meeting the crew of the destroyer he was assigned to command
- The pivotal question he asked all 310 of his sailors… which changed everything
- What motivated him far more than promotions
- What he says puts you in a position to control your own destiny, no matter what position you hold
**Plus, Jeff and Mike talk about their top 5 ways you can make a difference, even if you’re working or living in a toxic environment.
Leave a review of this podcast on your favorite platform; it helps us get these stories out to more people who need to hear them! To give specific feedback directly to us on what you like about the podcast and what you don’t, fill out this 5-minute survey.
Don’t let fear win. Get your FREE copy of the Unbeatable Army Survival Guide HERE.