December 9, 2018
Pastor Jeff Struecker
I. The gift of your attention
Now Peter and John were going up to the temple for the time of prayer at three in the afternoon. 2 A man who was lame from birth was being carried there. He was placed each day at the temple gate called Beautiful, so that he could beg from those entering the temple. 3 When he saw Peter and John about to enter the temple, he asked for money. 4 Peter, along with John, looked straight at him and said, “Look at us.” 5 So he turned to them, expecting to get something from them. 6 But Peter said, “I don’t have silver or gold, but what I do have, I give you: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, get up and walk!” 7 Then, taking him by the right hand he raised him up, and at once his feet and ankles became strong. 8 So he jumped up and started to walk, and he entered the temple with them—walking, leaping, and praising God. 9 All the people saw him walking and praising God, 10 and they recognized that he was the one who used to sit and beg at the Beautiful Gate of the temple. So they were filled with awe and astonishment at what had happened to him.
II. The gift of your heart
But Peter said, “I don’t have silver or gold, but what I do have, I give you: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, get up and walk!”
III. The gift of your faith
All the people saw him walking and praising God, 10 and they recognized that he was the one who used to sit and beg at the Beautiful Gate of the temple. So they were filled with awe and astonishment at what had happened to him.
Great gift ideas this month:
Serve the homeless
Start a Bible discussion group in your office or your home
Invite someone who is lonely out to lunch
Mentor a young man or woman who needs a godly role model
Send a personal note to someone who has strengthened your faith
• I need God’s gift of forgiveness. Today, I asked Jesus to save me for the first time.
– I’ve been too focused on gifts this holiday season. Pray that God would help me give my heart to people in need this month.
+ I want the Holy Spirit to do something great through me this year.
- What is the greatest Christmas gift you’ve ever received? What made this gift so special?
- Do you find it hard to give your heart away to new acquaintances?
- What do you believe is the greatest need in our community today? (Explain why you believe this is the greatest need.)
- Do you ever get overwhelmed by the needs in our community? If so, how do you respond when you feel overwhelmed?
- What is the greatest accomplishment that God has done through you?
- Name a few problems that silver and gold CAN’T fix. How can you be part of the solution to these problems?
- Pray for the Holy Spirit to have more control over your life tomorrow.