November 11, 2018
Pastor Jeff Struecker
I. Jesus is generous with the gift of His Spirit
“When the day of Pentecost had arrived, they were all together in one place. 2 Suddenly a sound like that of a violent rushing wind came from heaven, and it filled the whole house where they were staying. 3 They saw tongues like flames of fire that separated and rested on each one of them.
II. You’ve got all of Him
Then they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in different tongues, as the Spirit enabled them.
III. Outsiders can detect the difference
Now there were Jews staying in Jerusalem, devout people from every nation under heaven. 6 When this sound occurred, a crowd came together and was confused because each one heard them speaking in his own language. 7 They were astounded and amazed, saying, “Look, aren’t all these who are speaking Galileans? 8 How is it that each of us can hear them in our own native language? 9 Parthians, Medes, Elamites; those who live in Mesopotamia, in Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, 10 Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya near Cyrene; visitors from Rome (both Jews and converts), 11 Cretans and Arabs—we hear them declaring the magnificent acts of God in our own tongues.
• I want the Holy Spirit to make me into a new person. Today, I surrendered to Jesus for the first time.
– I’m not living by the strength of the Holy Spirit right now. Pray for me to seek His power for my problems this week.
+ I will show my neighbors what a person on fire by the Holy Spirit looks like this week.
- When did you most strongly feel the presence of the Holy Spirit in the past?
- Describe one way in which you showed a total dependence on the Holy Spirit last week.
- Do you know people who “speak in tongues”?
- Which is worse: to believe the Holy Spirit isn’t real or to live like the Holy Spirit doesn’t exist in your life?
- Can you think of an example of God acting in history that didn’t involve a work of the Holy Spirit?
- Is there an area of your life that is still at war with the Holy Spirit?
- Pray for people to see the power of the Holy Spirit in your life this week.
The post Acts 2:1-11 appeared first on Calvary Baptist Church.