October 21, 2018
Pastor Jeff Struecker
We can accomplish God’s mission by…
I. Relying on the power of the Holy Spirit
While he was with them, he commanded them not to leave Jerusalem, but to wait for the Father’s promise. “Which,” he said, “you have heard me speak about; 5 for John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit in a few days.”
II. Recognizing our purpose
So when they had come together, they asked him, “Lord, are you restoring the kingdom to Israel at this time?” 7 He said to them, “It is not for you to know times or periods that the Father has set by his own authority. 8 But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come on you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.”
III. Remembering Jesus’s promise
After he had said this, he was taken up as they were watching, and a cloud took him out of their sight. 10 While he was going, they were gazing into heaven, and suddenly two men in white clothes stood by them. 11 They said, “Men of Galilee, why do you stand looking up into heaven? This same Jesus, who has been taken from you into heaven, will come in the same way that you have seen him going into heaven.”
• I realize that God’s mission was to rescue me from my sins for the first time. I surrendered my soul to Jesus today.
– I haven’t been trusting in the power of the Holy Spirit lately. Pray for me to renew my dependence on him this week.
+ I will make the promise of eternity with Jesus the source of my joy this week.
- Describe a recent example when the Holy Spirit gave you the power to deal with difficulties.
- If our purpose as Christians is to make disciples, why do so many people seem to spend so little time and energy on this endeavor?
- How far does Jesus want us to go to reach people? (Be specific. Hint: re-read Acts 1:8)
- Why is it so easy to forget about the promises of Heaven?
- What difference does it make at work tomorrow that Jesus is coming back again?
- Read 1 Thes 4:16-18. What does the manner of Jesus’s departure suggest about the manner of his return? Why should this give us comfort?
- Pray that we would live by the power of the Holy Spirit this week.
The post Acts 1:4-11 appeared first on Calvary Baptist Church.