October 28, 2018
Chaplain Major Phil Kramer
I. Gathered in Prayer
Acts 1:12 – 14
12 Then they returned to Jerusalem from the Mount of Olives, which is near Jerusalem—a Sabbath day’s journey away. 13 When they arrived, they went to the room upstairs where they were staying: Peter, John, James, Andrew, Philip, Thomas, Bartholomew, Matthew, James the son of Alphaeus, Simon the Zealot, and Judas the son of James. 14 They all were continually united in prayer, along with the women, including Mary the mother of Jesus, and his brothers.
II. Grounded in Scripture
Acts 1:15 – 20
15 In those days Peter stood up among the brothers and sisters—the number of people who were together was about a hundred and twenty—and said: 16 “Brothers and sisters, it was necessary that the Scripture be fulfilled that the Holy Spirit through the mouth of David foretold about Judas, who became a guide to those who arrested Jesus. 17 For he was one of our number and shared in this ministry.” 18 Now this man acquired a field with his unrighteous wages. He fell headfirst, his body burst open and his intestines spilled out. 19 This became known to all the residents of Jerusalem, so that in their own language that field is called Hakeldama (that is, Field of Blood). 20 “For it is written in the Book of Psalms: Let his dwelling become desolate; let no one live in it; and Let someone else take his position.
III. Gripped by Purpose
Acts 1:21 – 26
“Therefore, from among the men who have accompanied us during the whole time the Lord Jesus went in and out among us— 22 beginning from the baptism of John until the day he was taken up from us—from among these, it is necessary that one become a witness with us of his resurrection.” 23 So they proposed two: Joseph, called Barsabbas, who was also known as Justus, and Matthias. 24 Then they prayed, “You, Lord, know everyone’s hearts; show which of these two you have chosen 25 to take the place in this apostolic ministry that Judas left to go where he belongs.” 26 Then they cast lots for them, and the lot fell to Matthias and he was added to the eleven apostles.
• Today, I realize my need for Jesus to change me. I turned from my sin and trusted Jesus for the first time this morning.
– I feel like I’m just going through life aimlessly. Pray for the Holy Spirit to restore my sense of purpose in living for Jesus.
+ I haven’t been reading the Bible consistently lately. Starting tomorrow, I’ll spend a few minutes each day reading the Bible.
- On a scale of 1-10, rate your effectiveness in prayer.
- Are you confused about God’s plan? If so, what aspects of God’s plan most confuse you?
- Where do you believe the Church in America is most in need of unity? What can you do to help bring unity to this area?
- We live in a culture that is spiritually confused. What do you think the people of Calvary can do to help clear up this confusion?
- What “fruit” have you produced for King Jesus in the past month? (Be specific.)
- Can you sum up your reason for living in one simple statement? If so, what would that one statement be?
- Pray for each other to be filled with the Holy Spirit and love for Jesus’s people this week.