May 5, 2019
Pastor Jeff Struecker
I. The Gospel has always been under attack
Saul agreed with putting him to death. On that day a severe persecution broke out against the church in Jerusalem, and all except the apostles were scattered throughout the land of Judea and Samaria.
II. God can grow the church despite problems
Devout men buried Stephen and mourned deeply over him. 3 Saul, however, was ravaging the church. He would enter house after house, drag off men and women, and put them in prison.
III. God always gets the glory in the end
So those who were scattered went on their way preaching the word.
• Today, I surrendered to Jesus for the first time.
– I’m struggling with some big problems right now. Pray for me to have peace in the midst of my problems this week.
+ I will not let fear keep me from sharing my faith.
- What does it mean to be persecuted for you faith?
- Can God ultimately use wicked men for His purposes? How?
- Read Matthew 5:10-12: a. What does Christ say of those who are persecuted? b. What does Christ say we are called to do when persecuted? c. What type of person is Christ describing here? Why is it important?
- What does persecution look like today versus the time of Acts?
- What did the scattered church do as a result of their persecution?
- In what ways can you respond to persecution today?
- Pray for the persecuted Church around the world. (Resource: www.opendoorsusa.org/christian-persecution/world-watch-list)