March 31, 2019
Pastor Jeff Struecker
I. Elders are the servant leaders of the church
In those days, as the disciples were increasing in number, there arose a complaint by the Hellenistic Jews against the Hebraic Jews that their widows were being overlooked in the daily distribution. 2 The Twelve summoned the whole company of the disciples and said, “It would not be right for us to give up preaching the word of God to wait on tables.
II. Deacons are the lead servants of the church
Brothers and sisters, select from among you seven men of good reputation, full of the Spirit and wisdom, whom we can appoint to this duty. 4 But we will devote ourselves to prayer and to the ministry of the word.” 5 This proposal pleased the whole company. So they chose Stephen, a man full of faith and the Holy Spirit, and Philip, Prochorus, Nicanor, Timon, Parmenas, and Nicolaus, a convert from Antioch. 6 They had them stand before the apostles, who prayed and laid their hands on them.
III. The church serves the community
So the word of God spread, the disciples in Jerusalem increased greatly in number, and a large group of priests became obedient to the faith.
• I believe that Jesus came as the suffering servant. Today, I surrender to him for the first time.
• I am not currently leading anyone. Pray that God reveal the name of someone that he wants me to reach this week.
+ I’m ready to start leading at Calvary. Please contact me about areas that need leadership.
- How would you define what makes someone a leader? Read 1 Peter 5:1-3. How does the Bible define leadership in contrast to our culture?
- What church leadership positions/titles are listed in the Bible?
- Does a leader’s personal conduct affect the people he or she leads? Why does this matter? Explain your answer.
- Read Numbers 12:4-9:
- a. What is the relationship between a leader of Israel and a servant of the Lord?
- b. What happens to God’s people when His leaders are not united?
- c. Why does God expect people to treat leaders with respect?
- Do great leaders in the church make life better for people outside the church? Explain your answer.
- Pray for the leadership of our church this week and that God would continue to raise up great leaders.