February 24, 2019
When Saints Act Like Sinners
Pastor Jeff Struecker
I. Be consistent with your message
But a man named Ananias, with his wife Sapphira, sold a piece of property. 2 However, he kept back part of the proceeds with his wife’s knowledge, and brought a portion of it and laid it at the apostles’ feet.
II. Be deadly serious about your holiness
“Ananias,” Peter asked, “why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and keep back part of the proceeds of the land? 4 Wasn’t it yours while you possessed it? And after it was sold, wasn’t it at your disposal? Why is it that you planned this thing in your heart? You have not lied to people but to God.” 5 When he heard these words, Ananias dropped dead, and a great fear came on all who heard. 6 The young men got up, wrapped his body, carried him out, and buried him.
III. Be passionate about Jesus’s reputation
About three hours later, his wife came in, not knowing what had happened. 8 “Tell me,” Peter asked her, “did you sell the land for this price?” “Yes,” she said, “for that price.” 9 Then Peter said to her, “Why did you agree to test the Spirit of the Lord? Look, the feet of those who have buried your husband are at the door, and they will carry you out.” 10 Instantly she dropped dead at his feet. When the young men came in, they found her dead, carried her out, and buried her beside her husband. 11 Then great fear came on the whole church and on all who heard these things.
• I need Jesus to forgive my sins. Today, I surrender to him for the first time.
– I have some areas of holiness to work on this week.
+ I will live differently than my friends or neighbors this week.
- Do Christians still struggle with temptation?
- Is it possible to live a morally perfect life after becoming a Christian? Explain your answer.
- If God can immediately kill someone who commits a sin, why doesn’t he do this every time someone sins? (Use the Bible to back up your answer.)
- How would you advise someone whose spouse is asking him or her to join in something that they believe is a sin?
- Read Hebrews 10:26-31:
a. Does this passage teach that it is impossible to sin after becoming a Christian?
b. Does it teach that you lose your salvation if you sin again in the future?
c. Why is God so serious about the holiness of his people?
- Pray for the Holy Spirit to help us live pure this week.