How to Pick a Spiritual Fight
February 3, 2019
Pastor Jeff Struecker
I. Prayer is our primary weapon
After they were released, they went to their own people and reported everything the chief priests and the elders had said to them. 24 When they heard this, they raised their voices together to God and said, “Master, you are the one who made the heaven, the earth, and the sea, and everything in them. 25 You said through the Holy Spirit, by the mouth of our father David your servant: Why do the Gentiles rage and the peoples plot futile things?
II. God’s will is bullet proof
26 The kings of the earth take their stand and the rulers assemble together against the Lord and against his Messiah.27 “For, in fact, in this city both Herod and Pontius Pilate, with the Gentiles and the people of Israel, assembled together against your holy servant Jesus, whom you anointed, 28 to do whatever your hand and your will had predestined to take place.
III. Battle over Jesus’s glory
And now, Lord, consider their threats, and grant that your servants may speak your word with all boldness, 30 while you stretch out your hand for healing, and signs and wonders are performed through the name of your holy servant Jesus.”
IV. You are the Holy Spirit’s weapon of choice
When they had prayed, the place where they were assembled was shaken, and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak the word of God boldly.
• I have been on the wrong side of this spiritual war. Today, I surrender my soul to Jesus for the first time.
– I am weak in prayer. Pray with me that God will give me a holy boldness in my prayer life.
+ I will pick a spiritual fight this week.
- Define “spiritual warfare”. How do you know what’s spiritual warfare and what’s not?
- Read 2 Corinthians 10:3-6.
- List all the weapons that are available to you in a spiritual battle.
- Why can’t we fight spiritual battles with bombs and bullets?
- Name a thought that you need to “take captive” this week.
- How do our spiritual battles here and now affect Heaven?
- Can you be a “faithful” Christian and not engage in spiritual warfare? Explain your answer.
- List a couple of important spiritual issues that you should always be ready to do battle over.
- Pray that the Holy Spirit will use you as a spiritual warrior this week.