January 27, 2019
Pastor Jeff Struecker
I. Be bold
When they observed the boldness of Peter and John and realized that they were uneducated and untrained men, they were amazed and recognized that they had been with Jesus.
II. Be consistent
And since they saw the man who had been healed standing with them, they had nothing to say in opposition. 15 After they ordered them to leave the Sanhedrin, they conferred among themselves, 16 saying, “What should we do with these men? For an obvious sign has been done through them, clear to everyone living in Jerusalem, and we cannot deny it.
III. Be decisive
But so that this does not spread any further among the people, let’s threaten them against speaking to anyone in this name again.” 18 So they called for them and ordered them not to speak or teach at all in the name of Jesus. 19 Peter and John answered them, “Whether it’s right in the sight of God for us to listen to you rather than to God, you decide; 20 for we are unable to stop speaking about what we have seen and heard.” 21 After threatening them further, they released them. They found no way to punish them because the people were all giving glory to God over what had been done. 22 For this sign of healing had been performed on a man over forty years old.
• I need Jesus to heal my soul. Today, I surrendered to him for the first time.
• I have let circumstances prevent me from talking about Jesus in the past. Pray for me to have the courage to speak openly about my faith this week.
+ I will draw a line in the sand about faith today!
- On a scale of 1-5 (5= totally prepared): How prepared are you or your family for religious persecution? Explain your answer.
- Who has the most consistent walk with Jesus that you know?
- Have you ever been caught off guard by a tricky situation and didn’t know how to respond? If so, how can you prevent that from happening again?
- Have you ever been in a situation where someone told you not to talk about your faith? If so, how did you respond?
- Read Matthew 10:28. How can the fear of God help us when powerful people test our faith?
- In your opinion, what does a bold faith look like?
- Pray for the Holy Spirit to give you a bold faith this week.